Konami Holdings Corporation handles four major businesses—digital entertainment, amusement, gaming & systems, and sports. The company produces a variety of mobile games, video games, card games, and computer games for the amusement of customers from different parts of the world. It also handles all aspects of business related to designing, producing, and selling amusement machines.
Konami also designs, produces, sells, and services casino management systems and gaming machines. The company operates sports clubs, organizes sports classes such as soccer, dancing, gymnastics, golf, tennis, and swimming, and manufactures and sells products related to the sports industry.
The company was launched as Konami Industry Co. Ltd. on March 19, 1973 to manufacture amusement machines for arcades. It has had a long and eventful history, featuring many name and location changes. The following are some of the major events in its timeline:
- In 1979, the company began exporting its products to the US.
- In 1980, the company moved its headquarters to its brand new office in Osaka.
- In October 1982, the company expanded into the PC game sector.
- The very next month, Konami of America Inc, which currently goes under the name of Konami Digital Entertainment Inc, was established in the US.
- A couple of years later, Konami Ltd, which currently goes under the name of Konami Digital Entertainment B.V., was launched in the UK.
- In 1997, the company was not only listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, but also its European holding company, Konami Europe B.V., which currently goes under the name of Konami Digital Entertainment B.V., was launched in the Netherlands.
- In January 2000, Konami became the first Japanese company to enter the US gaming machines market.
- The same year, it changed its corporate name to Konami Corporation.
- Two years later, the company was listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
Top 5 Games from Konami
Here is a brief introduction to the top 5 games developed and released by Konami:
Flaming Red 7s – Flaming Red 7s is a 30-line Konami slot based on the theme of classic slots. Players can win up to 30 free spins, during which all the seven symbols are red. In addition, there is Rolling for Riches, a feature that challenges players to win as many as four progressive jackpots by lining five red seven symbols and unlocking a bonus game.
China Shores – True to its title, China Shores is a Konami slot based on the Chinese theme. The reels are packed with China-related symbols such as lanterns, urns, and ornaments. The slot’s special features include a panda wild, up to 20 free spins, bonus cash prizes, and action stacked symbols.
Rock Around the Clock – Rock Around the Clock is based on the time theme. Accordingly, there are three clock bonus symbols. If players land one of them on their reels, one of six progressive jackpot games gets activated.
The blue clock can unlock seven free spins. And when the clocks strike 12, players can win attractive bonus features, such as the Lucky Records feature and the Rockin’ Jackpot feature. The slot’s innovative theme, imagery, and audio effects have made it one of the most-played games at online casinos.
Eleven Pearls – This slot has a medium to low volatility and is available in casinos across US, Canada, and Asia. Players can trigger as many as 25 free spins. The most special feature of this slot is its reel design of 4-5-4-5-4, which increases players’ chances of winning prizes.
Dungeons & Dragons – This is an old Konami slot that has evolved over the years. This 20-line slot is based on the theme of chivalry and features medieval heroes battling monsters to rescue those in distress.
Players can unlock free spins and multiplier values of up to 20x. Some of the special features of this slot include stacked wilds, scatter symbols, free spins with multipliers, and bonus games. The average return to player is 94.5%.
Features of Konami Games
Konami slots have excellent graphics, entertaining storylines, and lucrative features such as free spins, mirror reels, free spins with multipliers, extra rewards, and so on. Konami has developed not only slots, but also virtual sports games, table games, casual games, and progressive jackpot games.
Since Konami is a Japanese company, most of its slots are based on the Oriental theme. Some of these Asia themed slots are China Reels, Dragon Fever, Rising Sun, and Eastern Charm. However, Konami has also designed and developed slots based on the science fiction, movie, action, and fantasy themes.
One of the most popular movie-themed slots in the Konami portfolio is Rocky. Fans of Sylvester Stallone love this slot because it treats them to video clips from Rocky Balboa. Konami has developed around 400 five-reel as well as three-reel slots.